Why Simulation is a Must When Designing Machines
Manufacturers design machines to withstand combinations of loads through their lifecycle. The magnitude and type of loads at any given time on a machine can dramatically impact its performance, durability, and longevity. Early field failure leads to warranty issues, liability concerns, and loss of brand value and reliability, all of which are detrimental to a manufacturer.
Autodesk Nastran In-CAD is purpose-built to help engineers perform comprehensive FEA within Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks. It goes beyond the static and modal analysis capabilities within Autodesk Inventor Professional to provide sophisticated capabilities within the design environment. It allows you to:
- Use the Nastran solver within their CAD interface (currently supports Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks)
- Study complex assemblies where assemblies comprise of solid, sheetmetal and weldments structures
- Simulate the response to temperature, buckling loads, dynamic and shock loads and study durability
- Explore alternative materials - from traditional metals and alloys to exotic plastics, rubber and composites
- Simplify fasteners for easy and intuitive virtual validation
With Autodesk Nastran In-CAD, you can simulate various loads on assemblies within the CAD environment and identify flaws upfront in the design cycle. By studying dynamic and fatigue failure, you can also prolong the life of the design by making early design decisions that impact its longevity.
Improving Product Performance with Nastran In-CAD
Determine Whether Your Design is Overbuilt
Reducing Unnecessary Costs and Components
Autodesk Nastran In-CAD is unique in that it delivers a seamless high-end simulation solution, with a variety of mechanical, dynamic, and thermal analysis capabilities, embedded directly in your Inventor or SolidWorks CAD system. Some of the benefits include:
- Features true geometry associativity and a single-window CAD/FEA experience, allowing you to maintain your productivity, and eliminate compatibility issues while equipping you with an industry-recognized, professional-level FEA platform.
- Results in better success rates for converging solutions for nonlinear simulation, including contact as well as composite materials.
- Delivers a single product, packaged as a network license that serves multiple CAD platforms so the software can be shared among CAD products, projects, and regional/global teams with ease.
- Provides a consistent user experience and eliminates the need for multiple single-platform simulation technologies.
- Offers advanced simulation capabilities that span multiple analysis types, such as linear and nonlinear stress, dynamics, and heat transfer.
- Determines the longevity of a design by studying multiple load cycles to locate weak areas prone to failure.
- Represents the design in its functional environment accurately with all contributing loads and materials.
- Reduce Physical Prototype Testing
- Eliminate unnecessary costs
- Remove uncertainty from timelines
- Improve quality and customer satisfaction
- Reduce unknown risks
- Secure competitive differentiation
- Normal Modes
Assess potential problems, such as vibration-related operator fatigue or structural fatigue, due to structural loading in generators, rotating equipment, or anything mounted on a vibrating platform. View the normal modes or natural frequencies of a structure that might be subject to dynamic loading. Understanding normal modes can help guide you to reduce the impact of shaking or vibration by redesigning or reorienting loads.
- Random Vibration Fatigue
Gain insight on long-term structural robustness for products whose operation must be characterized by power spectral density inputs, such as aircraft and spacecraft structures and industrial equipment. Structures subjected to road load or fluid flow-induced vibration experience dynamic energy that can’t be quantified simply by frequency and amplitude. Loading over a representative period can indicate some consistency and predictability.
- Nonlinear static and transient response
This feature lets you capture all forms of nonlinearity in transient or time-varying events so you can better explore dynamic responses to dynamic loads, or impulses that result in resonant vibration or stress amplification.
- Transient Response
Determine the response of a structure over a period of time under the influence of constant or time-dependent loads. Static analysis shows how a structure will respond to loading. In the event of impulse loading or other time-dependent loads, structures may behave differently than their end state. Transient response helps you investigate the behavior of a part on its way to this end result.
- Random Response
Analyze the structural behavior in response to the imposition of random dynamic loads. Simulated conditions include road vibration, wave cycles, engine vibration, and wind loads.
- Inventor Integration
Extend Autodesk Nastran In-CAD software by combining it with Inventor 3D CAD software. Use embedded FEA technology to solve problems that go beyond the linear static studies in Inventor Professional. Turn your 3D CAD system into an FEA platform for seamless design and analysis.
- SOLIDWORKS Integration
Autodesk Nastran In-CAD brings the Autodesk Nastran solver, known for its proven and accurate results, directly to the SOLIDWORKS environment. Reduce your learning curve, maintain your productivity, avoid compatibility issues, and get the best cost for professional-level FEA. You get the same working environment with menus, tree-type structures, and a familiar look and feel for creating finite models and viewing the results of your analysis. Autodesk Nastran In-CAD is completely compatible and uses true geometry associativity. This means your loads, boundary conditions, and meshes update interactively in SOLIDWORKS.
- Autodesk Nastran Solver
The Autodesk Nastran solver analyzes composites, advanced dynamics, nonlinear, and heat transfer, in addition to the traditional linear statics and normal modes. Results accuracy is routinely tested against NAFEMS standards and more than 5,000 additional verification benchmarks.
- Bolt and Connection
Use automatic bolt connector modeling with preload to simplify common and complex fastening simulations. Include axial or torsional preload so that the assembled nature of a bolted machine or structure responds more naturally to active loads. Easily mesh models and run the solver for bolts and connections analyses.
- Static Fatigue
Fatigue is one of the most damaging failure mechanisms in all industries where dynamic loading is present, simply because concepts like peak load and maximum stress can’t be used for prediction. Fatigue life requires the long-term damage caused by multiple loads over millions of cycles. Fatigue simulation in Autodesk Nastran In-CAD software provides tools to help you evaluate this damage and gain control over this response.
- Latest from the Blog
- Subscribe to Autodesk. The Benefits.
- Product Design Industry Collection
- Autodesk Inventor
- Autodesk Inventor LT
- HSM CAM
- AutoCAD Mechanical
- AutoCAD Electrical
- Simulation Software
- Autodesk Vault
- Autodesk Cloud Products & Services
- Finance Your Purchase